Friday, May 15, 2009

Writers Should Keep Their Day Jobs

All of us wannabe authors (meaning we offer to give our first born if we can get published) know to keep our day jobs while we write. Once an author is published, any illusions of getting rich off the first book (with the exception of a very rare few) are shattered and they realize they will also need to keep their day jobs.

I'm not disillusioned. I was ready to keep my day job for years while I kept writing til the wee hours of the morning. That is until I found out I was being laid off this morning. As soon as I found out it was a Friday private meeting with my boss I knew what was going to happen. Our company has been struggling. Cut backs, bosses and co-workers have slowly been laid off one after another since xmas. I knew it was only a matter of time. And they always do it on Friday. My boss is a great guy. He even teared up a little during our discussion. I don't blame him. It's not his fault the economy is in shambles. But I did have to laugh at him when he said "I'm really sorry about this... but have a great weekend." Is that why they do it on Friday? They think your weekend will be so great that you'll forget about the fact that you have to start job hunting in an economy where EVERYONE is job hunting.

I've got a dance showcase to perform in this Sunday. I have rehearsals for it tonight. So as much as I'd like to curl up with a gallon of ice cream and a bottle of Riesling, I can't. The show must go on. Literally. And in between the dancing, I'll be writing. Not the wonderful, enjoyable scenes from book two and three of The Kindrily (which is what I WANT to be doing). I'll be writing cover letters and sending out resumes. Does that count towards the 10,000 hours you have to get through to be a successful writer?

4 comments:

  1. Hang in there, Amanda. And that's so cool of you to keep upbeat. And weird of your boss to wish you a good weekend, lol. I'll be rooting for you to find a new job fast and in the meantime good luck on the dance showcase and the writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen,
    I'm really sorry you got some bad news. Hopefully you have a little bit of money saved up so that you can find a job that you really want next. Hang in there. Times are definitely tough and you're not alone.

    Good luck with the writing and the job search!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear you lost your job. It sounds like you have the right attitude. Best wishes on your job hunt and your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about your job loss. I also got laid off last May. It ended up being a blessing in the end...though it didn't feel like it at the time. Good luck with the job search.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

GRASPING AT ETERNITY SOUNDTRACK


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Blog Archive

Write. Read. Imagine. Create. Learn. Love. Live. Repeat.