Tuesday, May 26, 2009

SEARCH FOR BETAS

Okay so Tess Hilmo inspired me to search for beta readers for my book. A few friends and family members have read it and I appreciate their input but I'm thinking I need a few writers to give me constructive criticism.

This weekend I made some changes to the first 50 pages and I'm feeling pretty good about them. I still have a few more changes I want to make but my goal is to be done by this weekend. Once I'm finished (this draft)I'd like to get some feedback.

I read somewhere that you should find betas and ask them to ONLY tell you what they DON'T like. What DOESN'T work. THAT will help you be a better writer. I agree (kind of), so I'm asking for that in my beta readers, but if you also want to tell me what you DID like, I wouldn't object. :)

I realize everyone is buy writing, reading, working, taking care of kids and homes etc. So I don't expect lightning fast response times. And honestly, if you don't enjoy YA (it is older YA) or love stories with magical elements, this probably isn't the book for you. So my feelings won't be hurt if you don't volunteer. However, if you do have some free time and are interested in reading AND CRITIQUING The Kindrily, please let me know. I would be eternally grateful. And of course, I would offer to beta read for you too (though I'm certainly no expert.)

7 comments:

  1. Karen, I am always up to read your work. However, I am currently beta-ing two other novels, and working on my own, so there's now way I can do it at the moment. However, if you're willing to wait a few months, I may be able to.

    And the whole "DON'T LIKE THING" - in my opinion, is just bad advice. You really do need to know where your strengths lie. If you don't, you may end up editing strong, good things out of your book altogether (things you might not be aware of). I know this because it happened to me with my writing in college - when readers kept telling me everything bad and nothing good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, I can beta read if you'd like. My email address is on my blog! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen,
    Your story sounds fascinating - I'm a sucker for romance and magic. I'd love to read it if you'll let me: jessicasilva@cox.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, thanks for stopping by my blog. Things are kind of busy here but your story sounds interesting. I can get back to you soon on reading if you'd like another reader.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ur stuff sounds so great! I'd say yes- of course I'll read it, but I may be a little confused on beta-reading. I read an article that said betas only edit for grammar and content flow--I'd probably be the last person you'd want to check for grammar!! :)
    BUT- If Betas don't have to check grammar,and you still need another reader, send it my way :)
    I would be delighted to take part :)

    I was in writing seminars in college where the whole thing was basically -write a short story- have everybody read it and then rip it apart the next day. It was hard at first, but I long to have it back with my WIP-honesty from other writers will ONLY help! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for the shout out! It sounds like you might have some great beta possibilities here. Getting an objective critique from someone who understands writing and the genre is really helpful.

    Also - noted your comment on my trailer post. YOU CAN DO IT! Just go to 'onetruemedia(dot)com and sign up -- I also had to sign up for a flickr(dot)com account. This is what I did:

    I signed up on flickr.

    Then I wrote a basic script.

    Then I thought of what kind of pictures would go with each line in the script.

    Then I searched for them on flickr (for example, I typed in 'candle' or 'heart' --just click the 'search' word at the bottom and then type the search key word in the box at the top)

    Once I found the pic I liked, I right clicked on it, chose 'send to' then chose 'desktop'

    Once all the pics were on my desktop, I went to one true media. Their basic trailer set up is all there...easy to follow and free!

    It gave me the option to bring in the pics that were easily found on my desktop

    At the end, I brought in the music

    You can totally figure it out!! It takes time to search flickr for all the pictures and some time to work out your script -- but it is easier than it looks. Give it a try...I can't wait to see it when you are done :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Karen,

    I hear you are looking for betas? I actually wandered over from Jenny's blog, read a few snippets to see what I would be getting into, and am willing to offer my services immediately after my friendship.

    Feel free to email me at arsenese@gmail.com. I will share a couple short stories if you would like to read some examples of my writing. Also, I will be at BEA this weekend if you are going and would like to meet in person.

    Look forward to hearing from you!

    -Angelo

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

GRASPING AT ETERNITY SOUNDTRACK


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Blog Archive

Write. Read. Imagine. Create. Learn. Love. Live. Repeat.