Thursday, June 24, 2010

RWA OR BUST!

I can officially announce that I'm going to the RWA annual conference in Orlando!
*does a happy really fast paced waltz dance around the coffee table*

My writing gals and I discussed it, but it didn't seem like anyone could realistically attend.
So, I pitched how much fun we'd have at the resort's pools, or eating sundaes at Ghiradelli's at Downtown Disney. I pointed out that we haven't had a get-together with all 4 of us since SCBWI in January. Then, I worked some Disney magic and got us a free room. (Thanks Mom and Dad, and Disney Vacation Club!)
That sold them. It's a go.

For the record: I don't write straight up romance. My stories always have some sort of love story going on but they'd never be shelved in the Romance section. So what. RWA is a stellar organization and has tons of stuff to teach me.

I love writers conferences. SCBWI, Pikes Peak, they have all been fabulous, but this RWA one is at Disney World! My own backyard. Where I spend many of my weekends! Seriously, if you're attending and need insider tips about where to go, how to get there, or anything else Disney related, come find me. I won't lead you wrong.

But besides the Disney aspect of this conference, RWA has an AMAZING line up of workshops, authors, agents, editors, and events. Seriously, I looked at the list of attending agents and editors and lost count of how many superstars will be there. It's madness. Fun, exciting, I-wish-it-was-July-28th-already kind of madness.

WHO ELSE IS ATTENDING?
We'll have to plan a blogger friend meet up. I mean, where else can you meet me, Natalie Bahm, Megan Rebekah, and Marie Devers, all in one place? Oh! And the fabulous Roni Griffin will be there too! If you want to attend, there's still time to register, but they're filling up fast so hurry! Here's the website.

Great writerly peeps, fabulous writerly seminars, and good times with treasured writer friends. I'm so excited that I must break into song. Come one, sing along with me...

Boom De Ya Da (Walt Disney World Remix) from WDWNTube on Vimeo.

Boom de yada, boom de yada...

35 comments:

  1. If I told my wife I wanted to attend a writers conference she would be supportive and understanding, but point out the fiscal responsibility we needed to be aware of. If I said it was near Disney World she would have it booked within the hour! But the fact is that I don't write romance and although I have no doubt I would learn plenty from the workshops, I would feel woefully out of place.

    Now if they only moved Thrillerfest to Florida instead of New York!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great time, Karen (and Natalie, Megan, Marie and Roni)! Although I don't write romance per se, I'd planned to attend RWA before it was moved to Orlando and driving no longer made sense. I was finally going to meet my critique partner. *sigh* Wish I could go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun! You guys will have a blast, I'm sure. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg... Disney world...? How far away did we decide that FL and OH were...? :-P

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun! Wish I could go. It was supposed to be at Opryland Hotel, literally a mile from my house. I'm hoping they'll bring it back once the hotel is back up and running...and by then I'll have money to attend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'M SO EXCITED!!! Your mom and dad are the coolest. We are going to have so much fun. Now I just need to hope for unseasonably cool FL weather. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow I would have said yes in a heartbeat as well! I love that your writer buddies get to go with you, you are going to have so much fun!!! I can't wait to hear about it!

    I visit flordia next year, purely for fun no writers conference, those I have to plan for and right now funds just don't always allow me to be in on all the fun! Thank goodness I'm still able to watch from the sidelines!

    Have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like so much fun!!

    Writing conference AND writing friends AND Disney!!

    It will be magical1

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  9. How awsome! I hope you have a fabulous time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wish I could come. Sounds like a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. yay! I live in Orlando, so I could only go AFTER the location was changed. I work at the Gaylord Palms and was hoping they would move it there, but we were already booked.

    I don't write romance either, but I've heard it's one of the best conferences regardless. I'll keep an eye out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. *SO jealous* I went last year and it was AMAZING! You gals are going to get SO MUCH SWAG it's crazy! Everyone is so nice and the workshops are very interesting.

    I really wanted to go this year, but I cant afford it. Stupid paying for college *sighs*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! That will be such a fun learning experience. Add to that the Disney and the girlfriends and you have a fabulous recipe! I'm envious. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really enjoyed your blog. Thanks for posting. I enjoy finding new blogs and making new bloggy friends. :-D
    So just wanted to leave a note saying that I liked your blog. I'm now a follower. And I will be back more for updates

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds so fun, and will undoubtedly be such a great experience. I'm sad I can't go, but I hope you'll have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OH MAN. If I could work a free room I'd go too! Ha! I am still seriously thinking about it and just driving back and forth...not sure yet. I ran it by hubby though. We'll see.
    You're going to have SO much fun!
    I'm going to post on my blog too and see who's going. Even if I don't pay, I might drive up for the literacy signing, if it's open to the public.
    You all have a great time, and congrats! And even if you don't feel like you write romance, you should still do some pitching! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, you're going to have so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So magical to go with your writing buddies. *dances for you*

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aw, I'll totally miss you at SCBWI, but I'm so happy that you'll be going to RWA and get to meet up with your friends and CPs. I know you'll have a blast!! And OMG, such great perks for you guys! So lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful!! You'll have soooo much FUN!! Life is good :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. SOOO jealous! Have a fabulous time! One of these days, we'll meet up at a conference.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Super jealous. Have lots of fun and frolicking with all your pals. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just joined your blog and so far I find it very unique. I look forward to reading more of your posts. Have a wonderful day!
    M.J.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ooooh, I'll be there too! All the way from California! I wouldn't miss an RWA conference for anything--maybe it's because I write romance and it's a great social network...or maybe I just like seeing new places...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hey Karen,

    I have an award for you on my blog! stop by and get it. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'll be there too! I can't wait to go!

    ReplyDelete
  28. so.jealous. I wish SCBWI wasn't that same weekend!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hey, it's been toooo long. Hope all is well. I read here you are going to the romance conference. Rock on. You and the girls have a blast and try to convince at least one boy blogger to hit it up too... :)

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Have a great time. I was thinking about going, but I don't write straight romance (I do include romantic elements, though). Still, I hope to make it to a RWA conference someday.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

GRASPING AT ETERNITY SOUNDTRACK


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Blog Archive

Write. Read. Imagine. Create. Learn. Love. Live. Repeat.