Tuesday, October 6, 2009

It's All Subjective

My last post on adverbs might have been interpreted as me being picky (or judgmental). Writing and reading is subjective, so I understand the varying reactions to my post. However, it actually was my attempt at a bit of literary humor. (See, I do use adverbs. I'm quite fond of them ACTUALLY.) I'm going to quote a pro and see if he does better than me.


"Great Rules of Writing"
Do not put statements in the negative form.
And don't start sentences with a conjunction.
If you reread your work, you will find on rereading that a
great deal of repetition can be avoided by rereading and editing.
Never use a long word when a diminutive one will do.
Unqualified superlatives are the worst of all.
De-accession euphemisms.
If any word is improper at the end of a sentence, a linking verb is.
Avoid trendy locutions that sound flaky.
Last, but not least, avoid cliches like the plague.
~William Safire

Come on. One of those had to make you giggle.

23 comments:

  1. LOL I've seen a few of these "rules" and they're hilarious! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe I actually caught on that he was breaking the rule as he advised not to. I'm slow, but I do eventually get it! LOVE THEM. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, for one, thought your adverb post was HILARIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I print that out and hang it above my desk? That's awesome.

    I agree that sometimes our subtle attempts to convey witty or ironic ideas doesn't always translate on a blog. People think we don't know how to write. It's a risk to use humor on-line when you're not there to flash your eyebrows or wink or gauge the reader's understanding based on their facial expressions.

    I don't want you to not have a good day. - G

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute! I think I've made every single mistake at one point or another!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't get the joke until the second time I read it!! Doh!


    LBM xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is TOO funny, Karen. Thanks for posting. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh, I'm guilty of a couple of those. But starting sentences with conjunctions is the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  10. He forgot one!

    People in general shouldn't make generalizations.

    Also, sarcasm? Nuh-uh! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. sarcasm, the lowest form of wit, the highest form of intelligence and =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very funny! I thought your adverb post was funny, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really enjoyed this! Thanks for leading me to your blog. Following now...and looking forward to future posts!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

GRASPING AT ETERNITY SOUNDTRACK


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Blog Archive

Write. Read. Imagine. Create. Learn. Love. Live. Repeat.