Friday, July 30, 2010

WE INTERUPT THIS INSPIRING CHAOS FOR...

something to ponder from Nora Roberts.

You might think it is much more difficult to be a writer today then it was 10, 20, 0r 30 years ago. Nora's reply to you is: BULLSHIT.

Nora gave a fantastic speech at our luncheon yesterday, but I'm crazy busy so here's the bottom line:

Eventually, you've got to jump in the pool. (Pool being the publishing world.) Don't stand around bitching about how deep it looks, or how high the diving board is, or how scared you are. Jump!

Once you're in the pool, don't bitch about how cold or warm it is, don't worry that you're going to sink, don't complain about how tired swimming makes you, don't be jealous of the people swimming faster or better than you. You are wasting way too much precious breath and energy. JUST SWIM.

Yes, the journey of an author is hard.
It's supposed to be hard.
The hard is what makes it special.
Taking on the hard is what makes us special.
Go to conferences, meet other writers, develop lasting friendships with people who "get it."
Ride the hard.
But remember, you don't have to ride it alone.

In 10, 20, or 30 years when a new writer comes up to you, respecting you as a published author, and telling you that it used to be so much easier when YOU were trying to get published, you too can smile at them and say, "Bullshit. I rode the hard. So can you."

Happy Writing! I'm off to seminars and--EEK--a pitch appointment. Wish me luck.
More to come soon!

20 comments:

  1. NORA ROBERTS ROCKS!!! What a wonderful speech and I'll remember that when I find myself in a tough spot... I will tell myself to keep treading water, it'll all be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck with your pitch. Remember to breathe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love inspirational speeches that are real. Roberts sounds like a no-nonsense woman, and THAT is real inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome encouragement!! Love Nora Roberts, too! Thanks for your post! ~ Hope your day goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Karen--My inspiration for today!! Swim to your pitch and Much GOOD FORTUNE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. aww, looks like you're having a great time!!! I'm so happy for you =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck! Thanks for the post- I loved it!Inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with the pitch! Cant wait to hear how it goes and THANK YOU for this inspiring post. Nora Roberts is absolutely right! - G

    ReplyDelete
  9. I needed this swift kick in the booty! Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  10. In the saddle and going for it!
    Sending good thoughts for your pitch session.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome sentiments! Thanks so much Karen this is great food for thought, and from a real heavyweight no less (I've never read any of her books but you'd have to be blind not to notice her success).

    Today's guest blogger is Rose Cooper!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wishing you luck!

    (But you won't need it...you're going to do great!)

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent advice from a renowned writer. Awesome. Thanks for sharing Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I suppose the double entendres are de rigeur for an RWA conference. Most likely. Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent advice. I appreciate the straight-out honesty.

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amen Nora! What great advice. I'm a major advocate for jumping in feet first. You never know if you can do something until you try. I hope your pitch went well! I can't wait to get the details.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post. Thanks for letting us know Nora's thoughts. Good luck with your pitch. I can't wait to hear how it went!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for the inspiration. It helps to know we all go through similar experiences.

    I'm sure your pitch will go well. I love the premise for your book!

    I've got an award for you here, also!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

GRASPING AT ETERNITY SOUNDTRACK


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Blog Archive

Write. Read. Imagine. Create. Learn. Love. Live. Repeat.