Thursday, July 29, 2010

HOBNOBBING WITH REAL AUTHORS

Last night Megan and I headed over to Disney's Dolphin resort for the RWA Readers for Life literacy signing event. We walked into a ballroom filled with 500 authors and their books. They all had pens in hand, waiting to happily sign and chat with us wannabes.These kind of events make me REALLY want to win the lotto because I would've walked up and down each row meeting as many authors as I could. But you have to buy the book (duh) and I'm on a tight budget so I couldn't purchase anywhere near as many as I would have liked. I did buy two:
BUTTERFLY TATTOO by Deidre Knight
and...I know you will all be shocked, but, wait for it...
FORGIVE MY FINS by Tera Lynn Childs. (Mermaid Power!)
Tera and I even matched. (I'm pretty certain there was a great-mermaid-minds-dress-alike phenomenon going on.)

Meg snagged the very last copy of HIS AT NIGHT by Sherry Thomas right before she sold out!

We tried to get Ally Carter's newest book, but she had sold out too. (Did I mention we arrived late?) Ally did chat with us and apologized for not having books, and I have to say, she is adorable and charming in person.

All the ladies were so sweet and friendly. I get intimidated trying to talk to those who have "made it" as an author, so imagine how I felt walking into a ballroom of 500 of them! But it really was a lovely time and judging from the long lines at checkout, I think they raised some serious money for literacy. So yay!!!

Today Nora Roberts will be the keynote speaker at lunch, then I'll be attending seminars.
More to come. Stay tuned!

18 comments:

  1. I remember the literacy signing room from last year's RWA--it's intimidating! Lemme know how Forgive My Fins is :)

    And take notes at the keynote speech!!! I want to know what Nora Roberts' words of wisdom are. Don't forget to get in line early for the free-book signings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incredible! Intimidating, like you said, but also inspiring.

    Hope today is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're having a good time! Sounds like an awesome experience. Thanks for sharing ;o) Great pics too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eeek! I WAS there!!! And I never saw you two. Wasn't it FUN! I would've bought all the books too, but I just ended up getting stuff from writers I know.
    I can't wait to hear about NR's address!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...funny how you mentioned "intimidating" when in their presence. Last autumn I visited the Buckeye Book Fair, one of the largest of its kind up here in Ohio, and was nearly too shy to step up to the plate and meet anyone. The fear eventually eased and by late afternoon I'd met hundreds of writers, but the initial shock was exactly as you described ...intimidating:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for keeping us updated. I am living vicariously through you right now. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah! fun pictures. That will be you with pen in hand one day.....:O)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun! I think Ally Carter was the published writer I was most looking forward to meeting, so I'm glad you were able to say hi. This living vicariously stuff isn't so bad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Forgive my Fins rocked my socks off!!! I loved it! I think Tera has a love for blue, and it's great because she looks awesome in it! Ally Carter's The Heist Society was awesome so I see why it did so well!!

    Glad you are all having fun and still taking time to post pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a fantastic time and I would be intimated and motivated all at the same time. Can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You guys look s ocute in your pictures! I think I'll freeze up talking to any authors who have made it and lose all my (negligible) charm. But then I think, dude, if I make it...I'll be terrified to talk to my fans because I won't live up to their expectations....

    So I guess there's a little panic on both sides.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds so wonderful! Hope the rest of the events will be even better!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great picture!! Your adventure sounds amazing so far!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome pic!! Sounds like you're having an incredible time!! Wish I were there! <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great picture! It sounds (and looks) like a blast! I can't wait to hear more about your adventures there. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Too much fun! You are having far too much fun chasing up autographs and soaking up the flavour.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

GRASPING AT ETERNITY SOUNDTRACK


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Blog Archive

Write. Read. Imagine. Create. Learn. Love. Live. Repeat.