Tuesday, July 26, 2011

THE VERY LONG AND TANGLED TALE OF TANGLED TIDES

Okay, so it took me a couple weeks to get over the shock of signing a book deal for TANGLED TIDES. (One of the coolest moments was the first time I read the contract and it said “Karen Amanda Hooper (hereinafter referred to as "Author")” I mean, I can call myself an author all I want, even declare it on my blog, but a legal contract just made it REAL. I am hereby known as an author. )

Many people have told me I have to post the details of how it happened. I’m not really sure what details I’m supposed to include (it amazes me that anyone—besides my mom and close friends—are interested in ANY details) but I don’t want to let anyone down, so to be safe I will start at the beginning.

This is me at age 2.

I was super happy because I just opened a gift and it was Sea Wees. They were mermaid dolls that each came with a baby or pet sea creature like a seal or penguin. I collected them and played with them in the tub. (Hey, you wanted details. I’m giving ‘em to you.) As you can see, my love for sea creatures started very early.

Then, when I was about 5 or 6 years old, this movie came out.

I wanted to be Madison the mermaid. Every time I climbed into my bathtub I pretended I too had an orange tail that magically appeared. (Hmm, is anyone else noticing a tub theme here?)

There were lots of other mer stories, like how I’d swim around our pool with my legs and feet stuck together trying to pretend I was a graceful mermaid (I have no photos of that and thank goodness because it was anything but graceful.) Our pool even had a waterfall and I pretended that behind the waterfall was a secret gateway to Mermaid Lagoon.



Then of course there was The Little Mermaid. I’m like 19 or 20 in this pic. (And yes, I know, you WISH you had those pants.)

Fast forward to a few years ago, after I had finished writing my first novel, I was walking my dogs with my mom and we came across a neighbor’s sidewalk covered with dead dried-up worms. And I thought, “How sad. They never made it to the other side.” And WHAM! There was my next book idea. (Worms=mermaid story? Yup. I told you, I am a twisted little pixie with a very unique thought process.)

So I wrote the tale. In less than a year. I sent it to my CPs. They asked questions, made comments, and the story became better and my CPs said, “this is it! Agents are going to fight over this.”

In April of 2010, I confidently queried agents. I got LOTS of requests, many compliments, and not one offer. One agent even said, “I know I'll be kicking myself but..." (I’m still not sure what that means but I think it was a positive thing?)

Defeated, and a little depressed, I shelved my sea peeps. And I worked on another story.

Then, in May of this year, a few writer friends all sent me a link to the same USA Today article about mermaids being the next big thing. All of them suggested that I self-publish my story. I figured I must have received the same message from several people for a reason. It was a sign to put it out in the world regardless of the fact that it got so many agent rejections. It’s not like I’d ever query it again, so what did I have to lose?

Andbutso, I emailed two author friends who had self-published stories and I asked them about good sites or blogs they’d recommend for me to learn how to self-publish. They were both amazingly helpful, but one of them, Michelle Davidson Argyle told me to wait. She suggested I submit it to her publisher before I self-pubbed. So I did. Thinking, meh, one more industry rejection won’t kill me.

A couple weeks later, I was at Barnes & Noble on a Saturday night with one of my CPs and another writer friend. We were hanging out in the YA section and I was pointing out any and all mermaid stories when an email chirped through on my phone. It was Rhemalda Publishing. They read my query letter and first 50 pages and they wanted me to send the full to them and their review team. (And yes, of course, we went to the bar next door and had celebratory drinks.) That’s when hope kicked in. But I quickly put it back in check because I had a folder full of rejection letters that said no to the same story they were about to read.

A few weeks later, as I was packing my bags to go to NYC for the RWA conference, I received an email from Rhemalda that said “We enjoyed your story and would like to schedule a time to talk on the phone.” But a time that was mutually convenient for both of us was DAYS away. The scheduled phone time was on a Friday afternoon. The wait was mental torture.

Fast forward to me, standing in line waiting for a cab in NYC, (plans changed and I wasn't alone in a quiet place like I should have been). That’s when and where I heard the words “we love your story and want to publish it” for the first time ever in my life.

(This was me in the cab, calling Mom and Prince Charming to tell them the news.)

I wanted to jump up and down. I wanted to cry tears of joy. A publisher loved my story. MY story. My beloved tale of battling merfolk and selkies who are hot and cold, good and bad, sexy and sinister, and trying to survive in a realm where victory seems impossible and hopeless. (Hmm, sounds kind of familiar.) My sea peeps were going to make it! They were going to be released into the world! By a publisher who believed in them! Even over the hustle and bustle of people and honking cabs in NYC I could hear my merfolk, selkies, sirens, and gorgons, cheering and splashing around in celebration down off the Florida coast.

However, the publisher needed approximately an hour to talk to me. They wanted to go over some things, ask each other questions, and make sure we were the right fit for one another. So we rescheduled for the next day.

RWA ended. I rushed to the airport early, found a non-crowded hallway with an outlet to plug my phone into, sat on the floor with my notepad, and waited for the call. Over an hour later, after a lot of exciting conversation, I had a numb butt and a publisher for my story (which Rhemalda suggested needed a new title and I wholeheartedly agreed).

A few days later, the contract was signed.

A couple days after that, TANGLED TIDES became my book's official title.

On May 31st, I threw out one last lifeline for my story. On July 8th I signed the book deal.

If I can do it, anyone can. The publishing industry is an infinite sea of unpredictability, but as they say in Finding Nemo, we writers have to just keep swimming.


34 comments:

  1. You were so cute!

    I loved Splash and I obsess over every single kiss in Splash. SERIOUSLY.

    And Tom Hanks was so handsome.. Okay he still kinda is. But in Splash he was so adorably handsome and gorgeous and hot!

    I think Disney's adaptation of The Little Mermaid is my favourite, hey, happy ending!
    Every time the author had the mermaid kill herself in any version, I cried.

    I sure hope you're not going to kill me with a sad ending in Tangled Tides. I will seriously cry my heart out if you do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "If I can do it, anyone can. The publishing industry is an infinite sea of unpredictability..."

    ...and you, Karen, are obviously in possession of a heart swimming in an infinite sea of willpower. Your personal story has already been an inspiration to me, so I can already imagine how much I'm going to enjoy reading your "published" story. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy and proud of you!!! I can't wait to read Tangled Tides and to see what wonderful things progress for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great story. So happy for you and I love the title.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this story so much, Karen, you can just re-post it again tomorrow and that will be just fine. :)

    I loved the water when I was little, so my mom always said I was her little mermaid (although my dad called me his little elf, so you can imagine how confused I was as a child, lol), which led to a lifelong interest in merfolk. I love how you managed to bring selkies into your world, too.

    Tangled Tides is coming out next Tuesday, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love your story :) Dude, I used to swim with my knees and feet together like a mermaid too!! AND I wanted to be Madison the mermaid TOO!!

    I love you. I love your story. It's so very, very awesome--and I am so very, very excited for you.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! That's such a great story and I can't wait to read Tangled Tides when it's released!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this. I Love TANGLED TIDES. It's going to be so fun to see it published.

    :)
    :)
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful. I'm so happy for you. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a great story! So glad I heard it. And I loved Splash:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's so awesome! I'm so glad everything worked out for you, your story, and your sea peeps. =) Thanks for sharing you're inspiring tale with us. I'm looking forward to your book!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It couldn't have happened to anyone more deserving! And I love the new title...TANGLED TIDES!! Congrats Hon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations! Happy story indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love all the support you got from your writing community! So excited to see it! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay! So happy for you, my friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm pretty sure we were the same child! Haha! I'm so excited for you, and I can't wait to read your story!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This post made me so happy while reading it! You may not know me from Jack but I'm so excited to read your book. Selchies are my favourite sea entities and I'm so glad that more authors are writing about them. :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. I seem to remember you questioning whether it would happen for you when we met. So happy it turned.

    Keep swimming.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This post makes me so, so, so very happy, and you wrote it all in the sweetest way possible. I'm so very happy for you, Karen, and I know you deserve every bit of this success - and more. This is just the beginning and I'm honored to travel this journey right beside you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful! Terrific!
    Thanks, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I know I've already told you, but I'm so so happy for you! And this story is one for the movies --- I mean, c'mon! NY. Taxi line. Dried worms. :)

    I can't wait to read Tangled Tides when it comes out. Ooh that reminds me -- Have you ever been to that (non-Disney) theme park in FL where REAL mermaids sing and swim under water with little tubes they use to suck air through? I went when I was, like, 8 or something so it might not be there anymore. But it was awesome. <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so jealous that you got all these wonderful pics of the process. I didn't take any. Dumb, dumb, dumb!

    I love your background, btw. That could totally be your cover and I'd buy it in a hot second.

    *hugs* You'll be famous before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is a wonderful post! I'm so happy for you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What an incredibly awesome story. So heart-warming AND inspiring! Congrats Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are too awesome for words! Thanks for sharing your story, it was fabulous! You are so cute... from 2 years to now!!! You're fabulous! I look forward to the big release date!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations! This book should be marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You were a cute toddler.

    I loved Splash. I watched it so many times in the 80s and 90s. Now I want to see it again. And the worm episode was interesting....

    That's a great story. I'm so glad you got the call and email.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Karen, WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO! Congrats on your book deal! When mine was accepted only months ago, I literally got sick to my stomach! Aaach! Do you have a release date yet?

    ♥.•*¨Elizabeth¨*•.♥
    Can Alex save Winter from the darkness that hunts her?
    YA Paranormal Romance, Darkspell coming fall of 2011!
    Pre-order your early-bird signed copy before July ends!

    ReplyDelete
  29. CONGRATULATIONS! That's an absolutely awesome story. I knew when I started following your blog you were a terrific writer (like I discovered you) or should I say... author. Yup. You're an author now. Welcome to the ranks. Keep us posted on everything. EVERYTHING! Success stories make me/us feel good inside.

    -E

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulations Karen!!! I am so happy for you!!Can't wait to read your book!!! You give us all inspiration~

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congratulations! Just reading your description of how things came to be was entertaining, so I'm sure your book will be a hit. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This was such a great example of hanging in there! So happy for you. Congratulations!
    Edge of Your Seat Romance

    ReplyDelete
  33. CONGRATS!!!! That's fantastic!! And your story is great. :) Thanks for sharing it with us. :)

    Looking forward to reading it when it's on the shelves!!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

GRASPING AT ETERNITY SOUNDTRACK


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Blog Archive

Write. Read. Imagine. Create. Learn. Love. Live. Repeat.