Monday, December 21, 2009

Happy Anniversary to Me!

Tonight, one year ago, on December 21, 2008, my world changed dramatically. I started writing my first novel. I didn't want to write a novel. I didn't know how to write a novel. It just sort of happened.

Today I went to the grocery store to pick up ingredients to bake chocolate chip cookies. Why? Because that's what I was doing this time last year when the story of The Kindrily crashed into my life at breakneck speed. I was baking cookies and listening to an old Ella Fitzgerald song. One line from Someone to Watch Over Me, created an image in my head of a green-eyed girl who had an amazing, tragic, and magical story to tell. So I started telling it. With no idea what I was doing, or how to write a chapter, much less a whole novel. I got so consumed by it that I burnt the cookies. I've decided to make the event an annual tradition, except tonight I may set a timer.

A year later and my story has been beta read by a beloved few, edited over and over, hacked and slashed, had action and conflict added to it. My MS has been worked and reworked and improving every step of the way.

So have I. Becoming a great writer is a long process. I'm not even close to being great yet, but my goodness, I have come a long way in 365 days.

I finished a novel. I attended the Pikes Peak Writers conference. I met talented writers, agents, and editors. I've developed near and dear friendships with my betas--and at times I wonder what I ever did without those gals in my life. I have read more books than usual and appreciated them in a new way. I have fallen in love with my characters; cried for them, laughed at them, cheered them on, killed them off, and gave them life again.

The most amazing part of all of this is even though I know how much work was required to "finish" a novel, and how slim the odds are of my story getting published, I am writing my second one. The reward isn't in getting the book deal (though that would be fantastic) the reward is creating. Falling in love--and hate--and being a part of a new world of people, places, and things. I'm doing it all over again, and I didn't even need cookies to inspire this new tale.

One year and so much has happened. Many writers are way ahead of me. They've been at this for years. They have written volumes upon volumes. They are better, stronger, more knowledgeable. Some are agented, published, or been on book tours. Good for them. Good for all of us. It doesn't matter where we are on our path, it's nice to know the others who are walking it with us. Even those who are miles ahead, or a few steps behind.

Do you have a writing anniversary? How long have you been at it? I guess I should count my creative writing school days as writing time, but the world of novels is so much more fun. Wherever you are on your journey, I hope you enjoy it every step of the way. And if you're in my neighborhood tonight and want to stop by for milk and warm cookies, my door is always open.

30 comments:

  1. I started writing last year around this time too. That's awesome that you've finished one. I actually didn't start writing my current WIP until May of this year - I'm halfway through my rough draft.
    Thank you for your comment about my kissing scene - I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah!! congratulations to you indeed!! I love writer anniversaries!! I put mine on August 1st, 2007 though I think it was a a few days later than that technically... Though I've been writing much of my life, I picked this date because it's when I got serious... it's when I started the first novel I finished (prior to that... I'd started many, finished none). From that point on... there was no stopping me! Still working at it... plugging along and couldn't be happier! Cookies are an excellent way to celebrate! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't remember when I actually started writing my story. Perhaps it was around four years ago. I have grown and discovered so many new things. Your post was enlightening and graceful, as usual.

    Enjoy your cookies and happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's such a great day Karen! I'm so glad you started writing because otherwise we never would have met. It's been such a gift to have 3 new great friends (not to mention all the wonderful writing advice and support)!

    I've been writing for almost 2 1/2 years. I started a week before my baby was born. I started UNDERGROUND just a little over a year ago, so I guess that was an anniversary too.

    I can't wait to see what we all come up with this year! It's going to be a good one--I can feel it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the anniversary!!!! Its amazing how much you learn when you start writing! So excited for whats to come for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I were in your neighborhood. :) Enjoy those cookies and the pleasure of a year well-spent. Your beautiful soul always shines through and I'm sure will take you a long way on the paths ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! I finished my first NOVEL length Novel just last month. Yep, a nano project. So, I guess it will be an anniversary. I started writing seriously with the intent for the world to see it in Oct '08, a month after my son was born. :0)

    Happy anniversary, and thanks for the cookies!! Virtual cookies are so much nicer to my teeth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this post! Our true award is really the creative process. And you're so right, no matter where we are, we need each other!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations!! I don't know what my writerversary is, but it's been a loooong time!

    Enjoy the cookies, and lovely post as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been writing a little more than 3 1/2 years. You're so right about the reward being in the creative adventure of writing a novel :D Enjoy the cookies! They sound great. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isn't it amazing how much you can learn and grow in a year!!! Congrats and Happy Anniversary. Eat a cookie for me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on your one year writing anniversary! I love how you're making cookies just like you did last year (and chocolte chip cookies are my favorite).

    I won't celebrate my one year anniversary until September. I've already met so many wonderful people in the short time that I've been writing, so I'm really looking forward to the new year. Best of luck with your writing:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! WOOHOO! I must say that I am so glad that you burned those cookies a year ago and decided to write. The tidbits from your site and your personality here already makes me love The Kindrily!

    Enjoy your cookies & sing some Ella from the top of your lungs!

    Oh btw thanks for perusing my blog & the all the Kissing scenes today! ;o) Oh yeah also your 'prize' has been sent!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A writing anniversary is a wonderful idea! I think I mights start my own. Happy Anniversary to you. And a very Merry Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw happy anniversary!!! Mine is in June... I marked the date in my planner the morning Jane's story popped into my mind.

    Congratulations on the wonderful experiences over the past year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Anniversary! :D

    I think I'm at 18 months, which is something, it would seem. I'm in the middle of my 3rd full MS. Woah, how did that happen?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Anniversary!
    I celebrated my first writing anniversary on 18th October.
    I spent the year polishing the first WIP and learning about the process. I also wrote the first three chapters of the second book so I could fall back into that world at a moments notice ;)
    This November I wrote a MG novel for fun.
    Considering the number of dinners I've burned this year, I think setting the oven timer is a very good idea.
    Happy holidays,
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on your writing anniversary! It's not only the end product, but the journey along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations! All that accomplished in 12 months! Reading this gives me hope for the New Year and what I might be able to accomplish in the next 12 months! Happy Christmas! - G

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulation on your one year anniversary! This post was very encouraging and so true. My one year anniversary is in January and my story is oddly similar, although, cookies are not involved, but apple pie. I never had any intention of writing at all, not even a short story, let alone a novel and one day, it just happened. Check back in January for my tale!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations, Karen! You're an inspiration. I started my `career' as a writer in 1985 so I'm feeling quite an old-timer. For years, I focused mostly on writing non-fiction so my creative writing journey has only really just begun. Here's wishing you a successful 2010. I hope it brings you all that you wish for. x

    ReplyDelete
  22. I got serious about wanting to write for real about 2-2 1/2 years ago. Patience is the hardest part for me, but I've grown so much as a writer and a person that it's all worth it, no matter what. Congrats on your fantastic anniversary, and good for you for celebrating! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Left a little something for you on my blog! Check it out! http://carol-in-print.blogspot.com/2009/12/have-blog-will-follow.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this post Karen! I wish I remembered the day I started writing, but I don't. It's been a few years though. LOL
    Congrats to you! I hope you enjoyed your cookies. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congrat to your one year and having the courage to write and stick with it. Best wishes with your work in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats and here's to another great year. Looks like you accomplished a lot in just one year - something to be proud of for sure!

    I started officially in 2007, but wasn't serious about it - and didn't complete a novel until this year! I hope 2010 is a great one for all of us writers :o)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy Anniversary! and may there be many more. We get to live the best life, because we get to live so many lives through our work. We have tough days and easy days, but the friends you make on your journey, just like the heroine's quest, make it worth while!

    I've been writing since I can remember, so I don't have any one particular anniversary -- just a series of epiphanies!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've been seriously writing for three-and-half years, but I didn't go to school for writing, so it's been an uphill battle to develop my skills. I belong to SCBWI, and attended one of their conferences plus three NESCBWI conferences. Reading about writing has helped me immensely. In September I started my own blog, forcing me to write nearly everyday.

    Happy anniversary and good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

GRASPING AT ETERNITY SOUNDTRACK


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Blog Archive

Write. Read. Imagine. Create. Learn. Love. Live. Repeat.