Thursday, November 19, 2009

I've Started Spiraling

Years ago I remember someone (can't remember who for the life of me) on a television show or movie saying, "Let's not start spiraling." They meant don't let this spiral downward into negativity or make this conversation worse. For some reason that line stuck with me and I've used it a few times when a friend or family member started going to an ugly place that I didn't feel needed visiting.

Newsflash! I've started spiraling. Actually I've been spiraling for a couple weeks now, but I'm really starting to feel the pull--and push--of this whirlwind and I've got to tell you, spiraling is not a bad thing.

My newest story goes to some dark places. Some of my characters say and do things I'd never even think of, but I wrote their scenes so obviously I DID think of them. When I go back and reread scenes I wrote last week my eyes bulge and I gasp a little as if I'm reading about this shocking behavior for the first time. I know I wrote it. I was there. It's not like I mentally checked out while I typed, but I'm still a little astounded at what I've created.

However, where there is darkness, light must eventually shine. Ah, the law of yin and yang. Especially in my stories because I do have that magical fairytale mentality. Many times I wonder if I should stop spiraling downward into the dangerous, racy, and kind of wicked world of several of my new characters. Maybe I should keep it light and happy and safe. I ride the spiral upward back to a place of rainbows, sunrises, and happy thoughts. Then the shady ones tug at my hands and feet and pull me back under.

I start to see a seesaw effect of light and dark in my story and it makes me squeal with delight. It keeps me on my toes, it keeps me intrigued, it explores very different worlds, reasoning, lifestyles, emotions, and mentalities. If I'm having this much fun writing it then maybe, hopefully, someday readers might have fun seesawing and spiraling through my story too.

What about you? Do you let yourself and your writing spiral out of control every now and then?

22 comments:

  1. What a great post, Karen! Oh yes, I like to spiral and, although the yin yang element is always in my mind, I do try to push those boundaries with my writing. Wishing you the wild and the wonderful. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! What you're working on definitely sounds like something I would read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My book in its entirety is a little out of my realm of comfort. But I'm really enjoying it. So I think it's a good thing to think and say things you don't normally think and say in our novels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, I allow things to go to very dark places in my stories. I like to span the spectrum of emotions. Like you said, it's not a bad thing. It helps to balance. You have the dark and the negative then the light and the positive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard once that when you write you need to be able to reach into the darkest places of your imagination and it sounds like you've been able to to that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unfortunately, I don't think I have that kind of talent! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the art you posted with this. Wonderful and thoughtful ideas here. Sometimes I feel a little dizzy and otherworldly when writing I guess a good word for that is spiraling. It's exciting, really.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent post! When you go to dark places, the triumph and happiness at the end is all that more meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I LOVE this post! I definitely spiraled... I literally cringed while writing the darker scenes and had to take breaks to pace around because my stomach got tense, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really can't wait to read it Karen! You keep teasing me with all these little tidbits! I've decided I can't write stuff that's too dark or sad, writing needs to be a stress free fun experience for me. That doesn't mean I don't like reading it though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know what you mean. My WIP has a lot of dark elements so far, and they're only going to get worse! I am actually looking forward to writing those scenes, but I know I'll need to write something positive with it. It's all about balance:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've spiraled before, but then I've second guessed myself and taken it out. I really shouldn't do that I suppose. Sounds like a fun spiral.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been prone to do the odd spiral myself. I always like a bit of darkness. I have a story idea that goes to some hard places but I'm not sure if I'm ready to write it yet.

    Sounds like things are going well though.

    ReplyDelete
  14. my writing often spirals. Wildness is hard to contain and my writing grows like a wild thing. I pull out of spirals in the editing. at least that is the plan :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been spiraling, trying to get my new blog site up and going, whew! I'm moving my blog, so I hope you will join me (Dreamdancer) at my new blog:
    http://virtualwomanofessence.blogspot.com/

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A little... LOL I love what you called the seesaw between light and dark! That's what I'd like to do with mine.

    ReplyDelete
  17. there has to be some spiraling to keep up the intensity of the story. The dark is just as important as the light in a story. It gives the story definition like shadows in a picture.

    ReplyDelete
  18. If I can let myself stay with it, knowing that it won't last forever, dark moments can be some of my most creative. But if I am too busy trying to talk myself out of a melancholy mood, the creativity is lost. For me, if I am totally present in the moment and what I am feeling, I be quite sharp and tuned-in, in either darkness or in light. - G

    ReplyDelete
  19. Actually, I don't really let my writing spiral at the moment- I feel a real need to control it. I certainly remember loving those moments when it happened- although like you say, when its something that you'd never do in real life, you can't quite believe where your imagination is taking you. Keep going, it sounds like you're in the full realm of creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  20. With one word... Definitely! It gets pretty crazy sometimes! Perfect art for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes, unrestricted thought, it's a wild train ride, and the stops are totally random. Food for the imagination. I don't try to think, just let it run.

    Thanks for visiting Secret Story Time, too!

    Secretia

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's funny, when I think of "spiraling into darkness" re writing, I think of moving AWAY from the writing ... but it seems as if you're channeling your angst or whatever it is you're feeling INTO your writing! That's fantastic! I think it's healthy to allow your mind to go to those "dark places" and then to put them on paper. Hey, some of the best works are based on less than savory characters and subject matters!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

GRASPING AT ETERNITY SOUNDTRACK


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Blog Archive

Write. Read. Imagine. Create. Learn. Love. Live. Repeat.