Thursday, November 5, 2009

I'M IN HEAVEN

I'm in heaven. Again.

I visited once before back in December. I stayed there until April because it was so beautiful, exciting, ever-changing, and addictive. Then I had to leave. Reality called and I had obligations like a writers conference, editing, revisions, networking, beta reading, and a pesky day job.

For months I've been worried I'd never get to visit heaven again. See, I didn't pay attention to how I got there. It wasn't planned, I didn't follow a map, and it wasn't where or what I thought it would be. I stumbled upon it by accident. (If there are such things as accidents--fatalists would say it's all destiny).

My heaven was writing a novel. Sleepless nights, endless cups of coffee, very little food, and being inspired by song lyrics that sent me rushing to my computer to write that next scene. I found joy in creating fantastical puzzle pieces of people, places, events, and conversations--even though I wasn't sure if the pieces would ever fit together.

At the time it wasn't about the end result, it was about getting the next scene, idea, or line out of my head and onto my computer screen. I'd never finish a novel! But gosh, what fun these imaginary people had while keeping me awake at night. Then somehow--maybe by divine or magical intervention--all those puzzle pieces snapped together and told a complete tale.

Surely it was a fluke. Afterward I read many blogs and websites about outlines, plotting tools, character development exercises, etc. If I had read all the "how to" advice before I wrote my first book, I believe it would have never been written. Knowing what I know now, I'd never expect to be able to create a bunch of puzzle pieces and have them mysteriously align again.

Oh, but wait. Here I am writing a new tale, with no outlines or method to my madness. Sparks keep flying and I keep typing while I marvel at how any of this stuff ever finds it's way into my mind. This quote sums it up nicely...

"Writing a novel is like driving a car at night. You can see only as far as your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way." E.L. Doctorow

Maybe this story won't ever snap itself into completion like the last one. Maybe it will. Maybe my journey isn't guided by headlights. Instead, it's bursting through the darkness like colorful fireworks. I don't know what color, or shape, or where the next explosion will be. All I know is each one lights up my world, and I am loving every boom, ooh, and ah.

26 comments:

  1. Yay Karen! I know it's going to be great! I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh... that's how it is for me too. I've never outlined, and I just write and write and write. It's awesome, and I love the quote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, I'm sure it'll be great! This post flows into the magic. I think I'll leave now and find Heaven too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooooooooh I love it :) your post just made me feel super energized and inspired - a huge THANK YOU for that. And I can't, can't wait to read more about this new trip to heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean. I feel that way now about my current WIP.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that's so awesome. And love the quote!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woohoo! :-) Love that place. Enjoy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That Doctorow quote is fabulous. That's how I feel, too. I'm no good at outlines. I have characters, problems and an idea where they need to go,but they drive the car a lot of times.
    I love your fireworks analogy, too. Someday I sure hope to read that heaven you wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  9. plotting, outlining and character development work for some people. Others it works the way you described above (an apt description by the way). Whenever I do read blogs about plotting and characters it stresses me out and I feel like I can never get things done. And the little voices in my head ask what my problem is because they are there and they want me to tell their story. Its much easier when you dont think about it. For me too.

    Good luck with your new idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I know exactly what you mean. I like that quote. I've never heard it before, but it gives me comfort to know it's okay to write like that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally understand! Great quote too. So true.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome post! Sounds like things are going great!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Karen, this is such a beautiful post. It makes me excited for you, and I'm not even the one writing the novel. Perfect imagery and a lovely, hopeful message. I wish you success with your new novel. I'm absolutely sure it will get completed and be brilliant. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're upbeat and you paint a lovely image with words!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You describe so perfectly the writing experience (except that my drinking companion is tea). And I really think that's how we do our best writing - not by planning it, but by allowing it to just come. That was a very inspiring read, so thank you. And thank you, as well, for stopping in for a visit at my blog and leaving a comment; that's always appreciated. I wish you all the best with your writing.

    Nevine

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad that you found your way back to your Heaven :)
    I was feeling taht recently too, just writing and having fun with it wihtout stressing about publishing or perfection.

    Go merfolk!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A brilliant post, Karen! I'm currently doing a Writing MA and I'm finding that I'm suffering from information overload. Although I've gained lots of insights and encouragement from the course, I think I'd fair better now if I could just get on with the writing, drawing upon instinct. Good on you for following your path. That is exactly the way it should be! x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for commenting on my blog, Karen! I'm following yours now. Good luck with your writing adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that quote and I totally agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey hun, I gave you an award on my blog =]

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a totally inspiring post! I love hearing how much joy you're finding in writing your novel! I can't say that every moment is like that for me, but I do have those spurts of pure heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very inspiring! Thanks for sharing! Good luck with your next writing trip to Heaven! - G

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome post! When I was writing my novel it felt like fireworks at the beginning and the end began to smoke like something had caught on fire, but I had to keep going and couldn't stop until I think I singed my entire idea. Hmmm, doesn't sound like heaven for me. Anyway, I'm rewriting now, but still have vaguish ideas about the (new) outline of the book. I like the headline analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love it! Heaven- that's awesome. Love the quote too.

    There's nothing quite like that feeling of writing a novel. It's what keeps me writing mine :)

    I would say my Heaven is the beginning of a story. Then comes Hell- the middles :S Then reincarnation- the editing- where the book comes together :)

    Love it all- and we couldn't have one without the other!

    Yay on your new novel. Have fun in Heaven :)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

GRASPING AT ETERNITY SOUNDTRACK


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Blog Archive

Write. Read. Imagine. Create. Learn. Love. Live. Repeat.