Sunday, August 9, 2009

Geeking Out

So last night as I'm beta reading for a friend, I get an email inbox alert. I see that it's from the author/editor that I won a critique from at the writers conference I attended. I took a deep breath and thought, "Do I really want to read her comments right before bed?" (Thinking she'd hack and slash me to shreds.) I'm a glutton for punishment so I opened the email.

The letter made me cry. In a good, amazing, beautiful, inspiring, light a fire under my butt kind of way. She went on for several (well written) paragraphs about how much she loved my first 20 pages and synopsis. I kept checking the name at the top of the letter to make sure she really meant to send it to me.

I know it's only one person's opinion, but it's a professional writer's opinion and it feels good to know someone besides me and my mother thinks my story is wonderful. This woman probably has no idea how much her words meant to me, but I am oh-so-humbly grateful to her.

I'm crying and geeking out over this letter. I can't imagine what it must feel like to get the call from an agent offering representation. Or the call that your book has just been sold. Jeesh! I think I'd have a heart attack.

But...suddenly the impossible dream of getting published doesn't seem so impossible.

14 comments:

  1. Not impossible at all! I'm so happy you had such a wonderful experience. Those moments keep you going. Good work, friend. I'm raising my glass to you (it's filled with diet coke, but I think that still counts) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! That is outstanding. I am so glad you've been given a real boost by someone whose opinion you respect. Keep on trusting yourself, and I think your dreams will come true. *does happy dance for you*

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so great! I have a feeling we'll be reading your published works soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome awesome!!! Keep that letter available at all times. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, now that's some amazing news! Congrats on the great feedback that I'm sure will keep you motivated until you get that call. Thanks for sharing, I can totally put myself in your shoes and feel that awesome sense of accomplishment and joy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, put that letter in a file titled "I DON'T Suck!" and read it during those bouts of I-suck-itis all you writers seem to get. And I hope you're not too excited to sleep! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is wonderfull! I'm sure it's not long to that phonecall. Everything is possible if you believe in yourself enough. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh! That's so wonderful. :-) I can totally understand you crying over that. Wow. Very, very awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You totally deserved it!! And I'm glad you've got something now to re-motivate you to get back to the edits so you can start submitting soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations. It's so great to hear positive feedback like that. Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! Congratulations! I'm so glad she had good things to say. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, that is so awesome, Karen! When you say author/editor does that mean you can submit to her at her publishing house as well?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, congratulations! That's such wonderful news.

    By the way, I really think she DOES know how much her words mean to you. She's been through it herself, no doubt. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's great news. And it sounds like you're a very talented person who definitely should NEVER give up until you've reached the top!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

GRASPING AT ETERNITY SOUNDTRACK


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Blog Archive

Write. Read. Imagine. Create. Learn. Love. Live. Repeat.