Thursday, July 11, 2013

I'm Rich

As many authors will tell you, it's tough to make a decent income writing--especially in your first few years. Yes, there are some exceptions, but I fall into the majority category and I'm okay with that because I LOVE what I do. For me it's about the journey not the destination.

Money matters aside, as an author, I am rich beyond my wildest dreams. Seriously. Because I have readers (some who I've grown to consider friends) who are absolutely priceless.

Last week, I was in one of those woe is me moods. I had no "great" scenes in my head, I was so behind on emails, interview questions, mailing out books, laundry, and everything else on my To Do list, and my book sales came to a screeching halt. I downward spiraled into one of those "maybe I'm not good enough to ever really make a career out of this" black holes of self-pity and doubt.

I wanted lots and lots of chocolate.

And then I received a package in the mail, so I opened it.
And I cried. Happy tears.
Because a reader, Jennifer Greef, had sent me this...

Jennifer Greeff and I "met" (virtually) when she reviewed Grasping at Eternity on the Once Upon a Twilight blog. Her review was full of so much love for my story that I asked if I could use a few lines for a blurb in the paperback version. The rest is history.
Now, Jennifer is always one of the first to contact me and say, "Your new book is coming out soon. What can I do to help promote it?" And, through all of our emails, ,tweets, and FB messages, she has become a treasured friend. To receive such a beautiful and thoughtful gift from such a kind and beautiful person--and respected reviewer--was worth more to me than all the money in the world.

There is nothing as rewarding as having readers/fans/friends take the time, and go out of their way, to show love and appreciation for the stories I have poured my heart and soul into. It's an indescribable feeling--indescribable even for a writer.

Then, because the universe has a way of really wanting to make itself clear, another amazing reader, Jennifer Madero, tweeted me with artwork she had created.
 
Jennifer and I "met" recently when her friend, Marianne, suggested she read Grasping at Eternity. Jennifer posted a fantastic review complete with hysterical GIFs and we hit it off from there. Jennifer and Marianne run the entertaining book blog, Boricuan Bookworms and again, I was so touched and honored that my stories had inspired something so beautiful from someone so amazing and talented.

My woes and self-doubt temporarily disappeared that day.
I had "made it."
Not because I had made a best seller list, or cashed a big paycheck, but because I received gifts that proved my writing had touched people. That makes me rich.

I have many moments that make me thankful for having the best "job" in the world. Every tweet, FB like or message, every review (yes, sometimes even the negative constructive ones), every heartfelt email I receive (especially those filled with OMGs, hearts, and lots of explanation points) and every "fan" I meet in real life, I'm reminded of how rich I am.

Sure, I'm no famous or legendary author. J.K. Rowling has her own land at Universal Studios, Stephenie Meyer and E.L. James were both declared two of Time magazine's Most Influential People, and Stephen King will always be The King. I can only dream of ever reaching the first wrung on their infinitely tall ladders of success, but...I'm still rich. I've got drawings, gifts, and cards decorating my work space as proof.

And I have my readers to thank for that.
My heart runneth over. As always, thank you times infinity. 

***For those wondering who made the amazing bracelet and how to buy/design your own, visit Nadine at Oh Whimsical Me. She does beautiful work!***


11 comments:

  1. You've brought me to tears with your books and now with this post! You are welcome and thank you again for everything! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! It's so amazing to be mentioned here! Never doubt yourself, Karen. You're an amazing writer and a great person as well. It's so difficult to be both when the world tries to test you.

    I believe in you :) *hugs*

    -Marianne @ Boricuan Bookworms

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your full of awesome Karen, that is all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Wow! You brought tears to my eyes (and that's a hard one haha). I'm glad it helped you. Never doubt yourself; you're an amazing writer and wonderful being. You'll reach much higher than now, I know it :)
    Virtual hug! *hugs* :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. That bracelet is amazing. Some people are so talented. I'm glad you were able to feel better. I love your books too and am so looking forward to the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so, so amazing! I've never received anything like that for my books. I hope one day I do, but until then, I'm happy with fan mail, heh. I think it's amazing how you view the richness of where you are at. It is truly what matters!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, wow! Karen, this post made my heart sing! SO happy for you! And yes - I think richness is in the eye of the beholder. I feel extremely rich in my friendships and family and in just pursuing my passions. Wonderful post! And go YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that this is amazing. I love the fact that even though you may not make a lot of money you will be rich in the wonderful experiences that you will experience with your readers and all the gifts that they will send you because they admire what you are doing.


    http://online-phd-uk.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Karen just stopping by to visit. I've let a few dust bunnies invade my blog as of late, so I'm checking in on my followers today to say hello and see what's up! Congratulation to you:) It's been fun watching your progress through the years! Best to Mary Lou~

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

GRASPING AT ETERNITY SOUNDTRACK


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Blog Archive

Write. Read. Imagine. Create. Learn. Love. Live. Repeat.