Tuesday, July 7, 2009

CLIMBING THE WRITER'S STAIRCASE

I love quotes. Always have. Years ago when I watched "The Secret" I heard one of the speakers recite a Martin Luther King quote that gave me goosebumps.

“Take the first step in faith. You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.”

I couldn't believe I'd never heard it before. It's one that stuck with me. One that I need to remind myself of when I'm scared to take the first step towards something. Then, I remind myself of it when I've gotten through the first step, but need the courage, will, or strength, to take the next one.

I remember saying this quote to myself when I first though about writing a novel. So I stepped. Blindly.

For months I've been climbing a very crowded staircase. Many writers have been climbing for years without reaching a landing. Lately I've been hovering on my current step...

Staring up at the spiraling, intimidating, long path in front of me.
Wondering if all this climbing and stressing is worth it.
Is it foolish to believe I'll ever reach the top?
It looks impossible from way down here.
With such a long, long way to go.
Pushing through the pain.
Tripping & Stumbling.
Self-Doubting.

BREATHE.

STEP.

BELIEVE.

Climb blindly.
But enjoy the scenery.
Make each step mean something.
Realize turning back is also giving up.
Set small, reachable goals, but keep dreaming big.
Don't compete with others climbing the stairway with you.
Learn, grow, and expand your support system--and horizons.
Put one foot in front of the other, passionately, even when it's hard.

Remember, we don't have to see the whole staircase. Keep in mind, we're not alone on this journey. Rest assured, the top is probably nothing like you think it will look like anyway. Besides, there is always another staircase waiting to be conquered. Keep climbing. Blindly. But with faith. Oh, and breathe. Just breathe.

20 comments:

  1. Wonderful post! I love MLK jr. Wise in so many ways.
    I feel like I'm on at that staircase too, stuck. Thanks for the encouraging post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look how you made a pretty staircase out of your words. Very neat.

    And, a great reminder for all of us, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love it! What a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this totally applies to something big going on in my life now that has nothing to do with writing. Thanks for sharing your inspiring thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post. Love the picture, the poem, the encouragement. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the image the post creates (as well as the meaning of course). Beautifully written!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore that picture...and the post :) Remembering to breath and keep climbing can get tricky at times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post is so true, and I completely understand where you're coming from. In the music scene around here, and well I'm sure everywhere, there are those that seem to almost suck the life out of you and make it difficult to remember why I even started to follow my dream/passion. But surrounding myself with positive people with the same goals makes it alot easier to breath while taking that next step. Thanks for writing this...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just checked in for some much-needed inspiration.

    I am not at my favorite place in my novel right now, but I'll keep climbing, and we'll see what happens.

    Thanks,

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing post, Karen. Wow wow wow. Thank you so much for sharing this. I'd never heard that quote either.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Karen, thanks for this uplifting post. I love your poem. It was just what I needed to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Karen, well said and done. Enjoy every level you are at, no matter how high you have climbed. Keep going and move up to the next level. That's life, you have to keep on climbing and enjoying every level of it, then only you will live your life to its fullest.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So true:) And no one ever said you can't sit down on a step and take a breather. Why climb down the staircase?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi :-) First time visitor, guided here by Lady Glamis. MLK's words are so true, and I really like the way you portrayed your own thoughts, walking down the staircase to a landing, and slowly going back up in a positive direction to another landing. Pure enjoyment! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful and encouraging post, Karen! Thank you for stopping by my blog! I'm so glad you did and that I was able to find your blog in return!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an amazing post! Love it on every level :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just wanted to let you know that I linked to this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Coming over from Corey's blog and Wow! I'm so glad to have read this post, because it is beautifully written and makes me think!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I saw your comment over at Kimberly's blog and had to check this out. This is a wonderful post and I'm so glad I found it. I too am an aspiring writer and this was very INspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love that post! Seriously, awesome Karen! Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

GRASPING AT ETERNITY SOUNDTRACK


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Blog Archive

Write. Read. Imagine. Create. Learn. Love. Live. Repeat.